[OpenDHT-Users] subsequent gets

Sean Rhea sean.c.rhea at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 16:50:38 PDT 2006

On 8/21/06, Kannaiyan Natesan <gbpnkans at gmail.com> wrote:
> Don't bother about the load you give to OpenDHT. It is upto them to
> maintain the balance of the servers.

Well, I am "them", and I can assure you we don't do any load
balancing.  Instead, as outlined in the SIGCOMM paper, we fair-share
the storage on each node across all clients, so to get the maximum
amount of storage possible, you should balance your own load.

> Think of a scheme, where you can split a file and store in a single
> hash and retrieve the whole file from the single hash. It is an
> example. Not sure whether you can use openDHT for filesharing
> purposes.

Why not store each block under a different hash, then store index
blocks to help find them all, like the Cooperative File System (CFS)
or bamboo.openhash.fileshare.FileShare do?  That way, you spread the
load of the file across the DHT, and you're able to download many
blocks in parallel, giving you the throughput you're looking for.

Sean
--
Looking for a PGP signature?
See http://srhea.net/gmail-explain.txt